The Library and its third floor Museum Opened in 1893

Fairfield's former library building, the first of 1,689 endowed by
Andrew Carnegie, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Library tables & encaustic tile floors survive from the original interior design. 

We are an IOWA CENTURY MUSEUMdating back to 1877.

Picture
The museum collection was begun several years earlier but there is no documentation prior to an extensive 1877 inventory.
 
Native American pottery, the seated monkey 
& other examples of 19th century taxidermy
(which are recognizable in this c.1895 photo)
remain on display. 

Most of the taxidermy was donated by the
Smithsonian at the request of Senator James
F. Wilson, a Fairfield native.

                                                                                           copyright 2009 CARNEGIE HISTORICAL MUSEUM